Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Publication: April 2012 
# of Pages: 329
Source: Library Copy 


There is need. And then there is Fate. Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's other half is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon--and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude--or killing her. When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


I want to start off by saying that this book was a great improvement in terms of plot and character development. Jennifer L. Armentrout clearly improved on this story line and made it more fast-paced and engaging. 

What I liked most about this book in the series was being able to see the new rules implemented since half-bloods can be turned into demons. Watching these stringent rules be put into place illustrates the different ways in which half-bloods and pures are treated differently. It's clear that pures are valued more in their society than their half-blood counterparts which is awful considering the fact that they are both descendants of the gods. Another aspect of the novel that I readily enjoyed was the development of the relationship between Seth and Alex. If you didn't know I have been completely rooting for Seth simply because he is raw around the edges and he's not scared to tell it like it is. He doesn't baby Alex, but he still manages to show that he has her best interest at hand. The only thing  that bothers me about Seth is that he's secretive and never gives a straight answer. When Alex has questions about becoming the next Apollyon he refuses to give her any exact answers. Part of this frustrates me, but then I think all the answers will come with the next couple of books. 

One aspect of the book that I definitely did not enjoy was Alex's obsession with Aiden. It's completely dangerous and reckless and can ruin everything that she has worked for. It is simply outrageous to know that Alex is willing to ruin her life for Aiden. Meanwhile I commend Aiden (who probably really loves Alex) on putting their safety first. It takes true strength and confidence to look past romance and think more about safety. 

With that being said I think that Alex has a lot of growing up to do before she takes on the role of becoming the Apollyon; however, I'm really loving where this series is going and I can't wait to see where the future books take me. If you are interested in fast paced, high action books that contain mythology I would definitely recommend this series. 


Share:

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! I'm (kind of) currently reading Pure right now. I picked up in the middle of a readathon and put it down to focus on that, and I haven't opened it up since. However, from what I read, I liked Pure more than the first book. Alex's infatuation with Aiden annoys me too. Though I understand where she is coming from, she is so stubborn. I hope I like this as much as you did! Good luck with the rest of the series. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! Let me know what you think about this one and if you want we can definitely buddy read the next couple together.

      Delete