Graphic Novel/Comic Book Mini Reviews #1

Hey lovely bloggers and readers! I'm going to be doing a couple of mini reviews in which I analyze and review three to four comics or graphic novels. They're short enough for me to review them in groups instead of doing single reviews. So let's go ahead and get started. Today's mash up will include Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Blood, Dead Class Vol. 1: Reagan Youth, Gotham Academy Vol. 2: Calamity, and The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1: Squirrel Power.


Goodreads | Amazon
Title: Wonder Woman Vol. 1 - Blood 

# of Pages: 160

Published: 2012 

Source: Library Copy 

SummaryHippolyta, queen of the Amazons, has kept a secret from her daughter all her life – and when Wonder Woman learns who her father is, her life will shatter like brittle clay. The only one more shocked than Diana by this revelation? Bloodthirsty Hera – so why is her sinister daughter, Strife, so eager for the truth to be told? Superstar writer Brian Azzarello creates a new direction for one of DC's best-known heroes, with spectacular art by Cliff Chiang and Tony Akins!


Before reading this comic I didn't know much about Wonder Woman. I had heard of her, but I never knew anything about her origin story. Utilizing DC's newly launched line "DC New 52," I decided to pick up the first volume and it turns out that I ended up loving it! The artwork was crisp and vivid and beautiful. If you are unfamiliar with Wonder Woman then it would be good to know that she is the byproduct of a relationship between the Amazons and a Greek god (I don't want to spoil with specifics). As a result, Wonder Woman, also known as Diana, faces a number of challenges and adventures. If you are a huge fan of superheros and mythology then this is the comic book to check out. It doesn't hurt that Diana is a strong, bad ass leading lady. 



Goodreads | Amazon 
Title: Deadly Class Vol. 1- Reagan Youth 

# of Pages: 160 

Published: 2014 

Source: Library Copy 

Summary: It’s 1987. Marcus Lopez hates school. His grades suck. The jocks are hassling his friends. He can’t focus in class. But the jocks are the children of Joseph Stalin’s top assassin, the teachers are members of an ancient league of assassins, the class he's failing is “Dismemberment 101,” and his crush has a double-digit body count. Welcome to the most brutal high school on earth, where the world’s top crime families send the next generation of assassins to be trained. Murder is an art. Killing is a craft. At Kings Dominion School for the Deadly Arts, the dagger in your back isn’t always metaphorical. 


This comic book is probably one of the most interesting comics I've read all year. It combines 80's pop culture with assassins. It truly makes for a unique combination. Deadly Class solely focuses on a group of kids, all children of  world renowned assassins, and their journey through a specifically placed school run by an ancient league of assassins. It's graphic and violent as it does solely focus on the art and craft of killing and murdering. Yet, the comic continued to hold my interest as the main character Marcus Lopez attempts to navigate his way through his new school and new friends. The artwork is gritty and often dark, but I still liked it. I could appreciate what the writer and illustrator were attempting to do. I fully enjoyed this comic and would recommend to anyone who likes action and adventure with a dash of 80's pop culture. 


Goodreads | Amazon

Title: Gotham Academy Vol. 2 - Calamity 

# of Pages: 144

Published: 2016 

Source: Library Copy 

SummaryOlive has received information that her mother might be alive—and now, she and her friends must investigate! Of course werewolves, ghosts, and new student Damian Wayne won’t make it easy!




I wasn't originally sure how I would feel about Gotham Academy, but I enjoyed the first volume and this volume even better. What was most intriguing about this volume was the level of intricacy involved in the story-line. The reader finally gets to learn more about Olivia, her mom, and family. What's beautiful about the way this comic is constructed is the character development. Maps grows up so much in this volume compared to her character in the first volume. She's more empowered and takes more of a leadership role. In addition to this, the artwork is clean cut and bright/vivid. As with the first volume we are also able to see the inclusion of other DC characters which is always a nice touch of nostalgia for people who are accustomed to consistently reading DC. The plot was quick paced and definitely included a variety of elements to me entertained. 



Title: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1 - Squirrel Power 

# of Pages: 128

Published: 2015

Source: Library Copy 

SummaryWolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Thanos: There's one hero that's beaten them all-and now she's got her own ongoing series! (Not that she's bragging.) That's right, you asked for it, you got it, it's SQUIRREL GIRL! (She's also starting college this semester.) It's the start of a brand-new set of adventures starring the nuttiest and most upbeat super hero in the world!


This was and remains one of my least favorite comics I've read to date. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for girl power, but the plot of this comic simply did not draw me in. I initially read the first issue and didn't care for it that much so I shouldn't have been surprised when I felt the same way about the complete first volume. I don't know what it was but both the plot and the characters seemed too childish for my liking . Parts of it that were supposed to be funny were relatively dry and not entertaining. Squirrel Girl is just too hyper for my liking and she doesn't seem to have any real super powers except that she's part squirrel. Nevertheless, the art work was great. That turned out to be the comic's redeeming quality. Other than that this comic wasn't for me and I highly doubt I will pick up any future volumes. 

.5

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment