Mini Review: I Hate Fairyland Vol. 1 by Skottie Young


# of Pages: 128 
Publication: April 20, 2016 
Source: Library Copy 


From superstar writer and artist Skottie Young (Rocket RaccoonWizard of OZFortunately, The Milk), comes the first volume of an all-new series of adventure and mayhem.

An Adventure Time/Alice in Wonderland-style epic that smashes its cute little face against grown-up, Tank Girl/Deadpool-esque violent madness. Follow Gert, a forty year old woman stuck in a six year old's body who has been trapped in the magical world of Fairyland for nearly thirty years. Join her and her giant battle-axe on a delightfully blood-soaked journey to see who will survive the girl who HATES FAIRYLAND.


I can't lie! When I first looked at the cover of this comic book I thought it was a bright, colorful kids book kind of like Lumberjanes. That fantasy quickly ended when I flipped to the first page and found out that this definitely is a comic book geared towards adults. Outside of artwork, which was completely spectacular, this comic is hilarious! It essentially chronicles the journey of this girl who is trying to get out of fairyland and can't seem to figure out how to do it. 

The comic is laced with crude humor so if you aren't a big fan of that I wouldn't recommend it. However, Gert is a character that I just couldn't get enough of. She's snarky and full of life. She has a sense of humor that will make you laugh out loud. In fact, I can't count how many times I laughed at the various situations Get was caught in as a result of her foolishness. In addition to Gert, the reader can expect a wide variety of characters all of them funny in their own ways. 


Overall, I fully enjoyed everything about this comic book series. It was funny, colorful, and actually had a really intriguing plot. If you are looking for something new to try out I would definitely recommend picking this up. 




Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment