Comic Books & Manga Mini - Reviews (Vol 1 Edition)

Happy Monday Everyone!

So I decided to do something really interesting and chose about four different manga and comics that I have read for this first time this year and give you all my opinion of them! I really am interested in reviewing more comics and manga so this may be a good way to start. The titles that I will be reviewing include Sweetness & Lightning Vol. 2, Lady Killer Vol.1, The Beauty Vol. 1, and Komomo Confiserie Vol.1.


Summary: Having lost his wife, math teacher Kouhei Inuzuka is doing his best to raise his young daughter Tsumugi as a single father. He's pretty bad at cooking and doesn't have a huge appetite to begin with, but chance brings his little family and one of his students, Kotori Iida, together for homemade adventures. With those three cooks in the kitchen, it's no wonder this dinner table drama is so delicious. 


Thoughts/Review: So this wasn't my favorite manga that I've read this year. I'm a huge fan of Food Wars (a manga that I talk about all the time) and I was looking for some other manga that included some sort of element of cooking. When I did a quick search/query this is what popped up. I liked the idea of a father-daughter based manga so I went for it. 

The artwork was intriguing and I think that the premise was amazing; however, for some reason the overall story fell a little flat for me. I wanted more character development and more plot development, but it didn't happen the way I planned. I did enjoy the volume enough to continue the series; however, I don't feel pressured to finish the series anytime soon.




SummaryJosie Schuller is a picture-perfect homemaker, wife, and mother—but she’s also a ruthless, efficient killer for hire! A brand-new original comedy series that combines the wholesome imagery of early 1960s domestic bliss with a tightening web of murder, paranoia, and cold-blooded survival.

* New original series by Joëlle Jones!

* Dark comedy, gritty action, and killer laughs!
 

Thoughts/Review: Holy crap! This was a fantastic comic book that I picked up randomly and I can't believe how much I actually enjoyed it. I thought maybe it was going to be just an ok comic, but to be honest it mixes the essence of 50's housewife and killer assassination. It was a bold, brave and overall wonderful idea and concept. It was intriguing that I instantly started looking for a volume 2; however, there isn't one just yet and I'm not sure if the author is going to continue writing the comic. Hopefully, she does because it was completely and utterly amazing.





SummaryModern society is obsessed with outward beauty. What if there was a way to guarantee you could become more and more beautiful every day? What if it was a sexually transmitted disease? 

In the world of The Beauty, physical perfection is only one sexual encounter away. The vast majority of the population has taken advantage of it, but Detectives Vaughn and Foster will soon discover it comes at a terrible cost. Now, they'll have to find their way past corrupt poiticians, vengeful federal agents, and a terrifying mercenary out to collect the price on their heads. 


Thoughts/ReviewLet me start by saying that this comic definitely had an interesting premise: an STD that causes people to become beautiful, but then after a while they just randomly explode haha. I mean who wouldn't find that entertaining. I thought that the artwork was pretty decent and I found the characters to be okay; however, I wish there was a little more in terms of plot. There seems to be a lot going on, but not much explanation to follow. I really hope that in volume 2 we learn more about the origins of the disease and what exactly happens to an individual that ends up taking the cure. It is on the graphic side so if you're not into stuff like that then I definitely wouldn't recommend picking this one up.



SummaryAs a little girl, Komomo Ninomiya delighted in picking on Natsu Azumi, the son of her family’s pastry chef. Ten years later, when the family fortune is lost and she has no place to live, Komomo encounters Natsu again in her hour of need. Now that Natsu is a master pastry chef in his own right, he’ll help Komomo—but only if she works for him at his new confiserie!
Thoughts/Review: This was a very strange, but really cute manga. I understand the concept of revenge, but lol this one takes it to a different level. I really loved the art and the fact that it takes place in a sweets shop. It made me hungry just reading about it, but I really enjoyed it. And although Komomo has a lot of growing up and learning to do, she still is a fun character to read about. I definitely picked this up on a whim and I'm glad that I did.


Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment