The Selection by Kiera Cass

Series: The Selection #1
# of Pages: 336
Publication: April 24th, 2012
Source: Library Audiobook
Genre: Contemporary
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository 

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.



Okay so let me tell you how quickly I finished this book. I literally started it right before I left work on a Friday and listened to it on Sunday and a little bit during work on Monday. It was not what I was expecting. In fact, prior to reading this book I thought I was going to dislike it. A lot of people told me that it was like the a traditional dystopian world that featured the bachelor. And to be honest they weren’t wrong; however, I enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected. It was cheesy in a lot of areas and I thought that the writing wasn’t excellent, but it was fast paced and easy to listen to. One of my favorite parts was getting to know and understand all of the characters and where they fell in terms of the caste system. It seems like this world will have the potential to get extremely complex in the future books. One part that really stood out to me was the part where America and the rest of the contestants are in a history class learning how the country of Illea came about. It was interesting how nations such as China and Russia were able to take over the United States and develop it into a completely different world. I’m interested in seeing where the history behind this nation goes in future books.

As far as character development is concerned, I can see why people like America and why people cannot stand her. She has a tendency to complain and whine a lot, but at the same time I could understand why. She is being pulled away from someone she loves and forced to be in a situation with someone she doesn’t love and she is in a low caste system. Nevertheless, there were times when I just wanted to scream at her to suck it up and get over it. America is also indecisive which explains the development of the “love triangle” that occurs so conveniently at the end of the book. If you know anything about me then you will know and understand that I loathe insta-love and love triangles with a passion. I think they are the most cliche and overused elements in YA books. Very few authors, in my opinion, have been able to successfully apply these tropes in an entertaining and effective manner. I also liked and had some issues with Maxon and Aspen. Maxon was charming and it was difficult to watch him be placed into a situation where he is forced to choose a bride while the whole world is watching. At the same time, he rubbed me the wrong way a few times. Like America, he comes off as indecisive and childish. I was rooting for Aspen until he brutally broke up with America. I can understand wanting to provide for someone, but that whole mentality in which the man “is supposed” to provide for the women bothers me whether it is in fiction or in real life. There are some things that happen towards the end that really bother me; however, I won’t disclose them because they are spoilers. Nevertheless, I’m interested in seeing where America’s decisions will lead her in this next book.

For a book that I wasn’t expecting to like, this actually turned into a pretty pleasant read and I will be continuing the series. I plan on doing a review for each book and novella so be on the look-out as I finish each one!


Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment