The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan



Series: Percy Jackson & The Olympians
# of Pages: 375
Publication: March 1st, 2006
Source: Personal Copy
Genre: Fantasy/Mythological
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository 

Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse - Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends—one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena - Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.




This book! At the time of me writing this review, I have completed my second reading of the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. Over the past few years, I have recommended this book to family, friends, co-workers, and children at the library. There is so much action, mystery, and insight to Greek mythology that it's perfect for any reader of any age.

One of the things that I love about this book is it's accessibility. The text is not only easy to read, but somehow manages to capture the attention of all readers. It's fast paced and takes the reader on an adventure of a life time. I always recommend these books to readers who are interested in Greek mythology simply because they provide a glimpse into all the aspects of Greek mythology including major and minor gods, terminology associated with Greek mythology, and those characters that people often forget about when they discuss Greek mythology. Even though this was my second time reading the book, I found that I still learned so much. It's fun to understand and know the history behind the "Big 3," but I find it even more fascinating to learn about other gods and goddesses.

Of all the things about this book, I also really love the character development. Percy is quite unsure of himself in the beginning and does not really understand how he fits into the world of Greek gods and goddesses and demigods. Like him, the reader is ultimately kept in the dark and is only revealed certain aspects of the world as Percy figures them out. It's an interesting concept and I loved that the reader was given the opportunity to discover the world just as Percy did. Another part of character development that I really enjoyed was the friendship between Percy, Groover, and Annabeth. There is no way they could have made it through their quest without each other and I loved that they depended upon one another, gave each other confidence, and motivated each other to make the best decisions.

Overall, this book is wonderful and there is no way I can give it enough praise. I binged the series in no time and loved it so much that I can see myself reading it over and over again. If you're into mythology and you're looking for a new and fun series to check out, I would definitely recommend this book and the books that follow.


Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment