The One by Kiera Cass

Series: The Selection, #3
# of Pages: 323
Publication: May 6th, 2014
Source: Library Audiobook
Genre: Dystopian/Fantasy
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository 
The time has come for one winner to be crowned. When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.





*Please keep in mind that this is the third book of the series so there may be some spoilers.


This was an interesting conclusion to the series. I really enjoyed some aspects of it; however, I think that some aspects of it were rushed. For instance, there were some scenes that felt rather unnecessary especially some parts in which characters were killed without any rhyme or reason. I did enjoy learning more about the word. It was more complex than I was expecting and it really explained the establishment of the caste system. If you know me at all, you will understand the fact that I’m not a huge fan of books that have perfect, happy endings. While that is enjoyable to read about at times, it does not always work and in the case of this series I think that the world wraps up a little too perfectly. I wished that Cass would have pushed for a little more complexity. I don’t know if that is evident in the two spin-off novels; however, I think I may give them a try.

With all of that being said I am glad that I did give the series a chance. I still don’t think it’s the best written series that I’ve ever read, but I can understand why people seem to enjoy it so much and why people can’t get enough of Cass’ stories. The woman can write a pretty good story. In addition to that, I still do not think that I understand the purpose of having Aspen in the story. While I understand that he made America more indecisive, it seems as though America and Maxon could have had enough problems and issues without involving the storyline of Aspen. And I don’t think that Maxon would have really gotten over the relationship between America and Maxon that quickly in real life. It was too perfect. I’m interesting in seeing where she decides to take the story in the next two books. I’ve heard that many people don’t like or don’t enjoy the main character.

For the most part I did find the series enjoyable. I thought that it was a cute contemporary romance with enough drama to go around. America was not the best female lead and she worked my nerves more than a few times; however, towards the end she did grow on me and I was rooting for her to find herself and build her relationship with Maxon. As I’ve said with all of my reviews, I definitely can see and understand why people seem to love this series so much. It has certain elements that are addicting and elements that draw the reader in. If you’re looking for a quick series to read I would definitely recommend this series.



Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment