Paper Girls Vol.1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Series: Paper Girls (Vol. 1)
# of Pages: 144
Publication: April 5th, 2016
Source: Library E-Book
Genre: Science-Fiction
Goodreads | Amazon 

In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood.








If you can’t already tell (which you probably can’t unless you follow me on Goodreads) I am a huge fan of Brian K Vaughn. I’ve read a few of his series including Y: The Last Man, Saga, and the Runaways. This is a new one that I wanted to try out and I’m so happy I did. This first volume of this series has adventure, action, and mystery. While I did get a little confused, I know that this first volume was mainly designed to build the world and the plot.

If you haven’t heard of Paper Girls it’s centered around four 12 year old girls in the 80s (this was already the perfect comic for me because I’m literally obsessed with the 80s) who share the same paper route. Early in the morning they begin to encounter some really strange things, things that they cannot explain. I won’t lie and say this is initial plot isn’t quite confusing because it is. It includes some elements of time travel that make it hard to figure out what and who everyone really is. However, what I loved about this first volume was the opportunity that the reader has to get to know the personalities of the four main characters. They are very much alike but different at the same time. I loved that while reading the comic, the reader has the opportunity to get to know each and every one of the main characters which is extremely important in this series.

The only criticism that I have for this series is that
the plot is rather confusing. It contains elements found in science fiction writing and because it is in graphic form it takes a while for the plot to completely unfold and make sense. Even by the end of the graphic novel, the reader is still left with so many questions that are answered in subsequent volumes. Nevertheless, I did want to point out that anyone who reads this comic should have patience with the writing and the plot. Brian K. Vaughn has a gift for world and plot building and you have to continue to read his series in order to get a good understanding of the direction he’s leading his characters in.

Overall, this is such a fascinating series. As I’m writing this review, I’ve already read the second volume and I’m absolutely loving this series. If you enjoy Brian K. Vaughn as a comic book writer then I would definitely recommend checking this one out. I believe that this is the third or fourth series of his that I have started and plan to follow and finish.


Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment